Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Trademark Infringement


I’m pursuing trademark action against some guy who recently launched a Web site with a similar sounding name as my magazine.

I don’t blame the guy for riding the Inventors Digest coattails. Imitation, as they say, is the sincerest form of flattery.

But it also can be the sincerest form of infringement. I’m not going to disclose the site. Why drive traffic there? But the potential imbroglio is a good reminder to all inventors, entrepreneurs and companies. Our attorneys will be contacting the offending party. Here’s what one of our legal hounds had to say to me yesterday:

“Failure by a trademark owner to police its trademarks can result in a loss of certain rights, so we think something should be done, probably along the lines of sending a cease-and-desist letter.”

Got that? If you believe someone is infringing on your trademark, you better do something about it or risk losing your rights.

No comments: